SC Code of Law, Section 59-65-47 is established for "Third Option" accountability associations, home schools, and their requirements.
Parents or guardians maintaining a valid membership with a "Third Option" accountability association, which has no fewer than fifty members, may teach their children from the home school setting. Continuing compliance with the academic standards and requirements of a "Third Option" accountability association exempts the home school from the requirements placed upon the "First Option" (provided in section 59-65-40), or the "Second Option" (provided in section 59-65-45)
PIE's Documentation Process consists of the following:
- Application Form: This form provides the office of PIE with the parent/guardian's current contact information, mailing address, and student enrollment. An application form is filled out annually and maintained with the member's file.
- Parent Association Agreement Form: This form indicates the applicant is aware of what is required from them by SC Code of Law for third option home schools. Secondly, this form reinforces Palmetto Independent Educator's continuing compliance with the academic standards and requirements as a third option association. Membership requires first-time applicants, or members reinstating their membership from inactive status, to sign and turn in a copy of the parent association agreement form. The original copy of the signed parent association agreement form is maintained with the member's file.
- School Year Review Form: This form closes out the current school year and verifies attendance requirements are met. This form also informs the office PIE of your need for the next school year application package. Any additional needs we may be able to assist you with will be listed here as well. The School Year Review form is filled out annually and maintained with the member's file.
Purpose Driven Forms
- Notification of Student Transfer Form: This form notifies the school your child is legally homeschooling under the auspices of PIE. A copy of the Notification of Student Transfer form is maintained with the member's file, with the original sent to the public school administrators.
- Transcript Request Form: This form is completed by the home school parent/teacher of a high school student. PIE offers a Transcript and Diploma service; this form serves as information for PIE to format your student’s transcript. Students may earn high school credit as early as 7th grade.
- Referral Form: This form is completed by new members who have been referred by an existing member. We strive to provide a service that is worth sharing.
Important Note! South Carolina's home school laws require the home school program to be conducted by the parent, or guardian, of the home school student. Grandparents, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters, close family friends, and trusted neighbors will not qualify unless they have obtained legal guardianship through the proper channels. However, there is no reason why these individuals cannot be solicited to assist parents or legal guardians with their home school programs when necessary.